We are living in a time where mask-wearing is now a necessity for our survival. But mask-wearing can be a difficult task for kids and especially with kids with special needs and kids with sensitivity issues. Kids might feel itching or ticklish, resent to wear masks and have meltdowns. All these can make life difficult for parents and guardians. So, here are some tips to help kids adapt to wearing a mask.
1. Explain why wearing a mask is necessary.
2. Show photos that mask-wearing is the norm.
3. Take small steps to get used to wearing a mask.
4. Pretend to play with a mask.
5. Start with familiar clothing.
6. Get creative with a mask.
7. Stuffed animals and dolls too need masks.
8. Praise and reinforce the child for wearing the mask.
Each kid takes times to get used to wearing a mask but when kids wear a mask which is made of fabric that is comfortable to their skin, the mask-wearing process becomes easier. Another key to success is patience. Give your child a stress-free experience.
Joy Christin Johnson
Joy Christin Johnson is a child psychologist for over a decade, and also a mental health advocate. She conducts workshops and sessions for kids, parents and teachers. She also does research work and keeps herself updated during free time.
The opinions expressed in this blog are those of the authors. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of Eblity or its team members.